Parramatta Light Rail works continue in Westmead
Written by Darryn Capes-Davis on 19 April 2020
If you live in Westmead or frequent Westmead Adult and or Children’s Hospitals you will have noticed a lot of work on Hawkesbury Road to enable its widening from Darcy Road to Jessie Street. Now the main Light Rail contractor, Parramatta Connect, like commence works along Hawkesbury Road and Hainsworth st.
Parramatta Connect, the infrastructure works contractor on the Parramatta Light Rail project have been engaged by Transport for NSW to complete work scheduled on Monday 20 April and will continue into 2021.
The work is to relocate utility services and prepare for permanent traffic changes at Hawkesbury Road and Hainsworth Street, Westmead.
- Installing fencing and concrete barriers to delineate work areas and establish site compounds
- Traffic staging, including installing barriers, signs and line marking and removing the median
- Removing and trimming trees and vegetation
- Locating existing underground services (using ground penetrating radar and non-destructive digging)
- Excavating the roadway, footpath and verge to access and relocate services
- Connecting, commissioning and testing new services, disconnecting and removing redundant services
- Installing road plates at the end of each shift for safe access and reinstating the roadway and footpaths
- Closing the Hawkesbury Road kerbside lane between Darcy Road and Railway Parade
- Adjusting existing driveways and retaining walls.
The majority of work will be carried out at night, Sunday to Friday between 7pm and 7am because road user and pedestrian volumes are such that working in the footpath or roadway during the day is likely to pose an unacceptable risk to public safety and/or traffic flow.
This work is being coordinated with other contractors engaged by Transport for NSW to minimise impacts to residents, businesses and traffic. You can read the community notification in full here.